Monday, May 16, 2011

Tuesday

So we stayed in a lodge house for the first two nights. It was huge with a thatched roof. We had a braai with baboons running around hoping for a scrap or two of food.
First thing in the morning another coffee and a rusk to start the day off. Spotted loads of wildlife and my eldest son got to drive my uncles 4 wheel drive. As he is hoping to pass his driving test soon, it was good practice. However, he didn't realise what lay ahead of him and then things got really exciting!

This was the bull elephant that decided to take an instant dislike to us! My uncle had told us that if we came across an elephant on the side of the road, to always make sure that we were slightly ahead of it. Never let the elephant take control by being ahead of it and ready to pull away fast. My son forgot this information and let the elephant take control. It started flapping its ears, sniffing the air with its trunk and before we knew what was happening, he charged us from behind. My mum and I were screaming at my son to go but he was hesitating. My uncle put both hands on my sons shoulders and said firmly but quietly, 'go Taylor'. Off Taylor wheel spun away, leaving a cloud of dust behind us. The elephant had clipped the side of my uncles car with his tusk! A frightening but exhilarating experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment